Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Fukuoka - Hakata Traditional Craft and Design Museum and Hakatamachiya Folk Museum

The Hakata Traditional Craft and Design Museum is a free museum, with beautiful displays and exhibits, but photos are not allowed inside.  My favorite thing here was the Hakata Ori woven textile exhibit.  From the website: 

Approximately 770 years ago, a young Hakata merchant named Mitsuda Yasoemon visited China with a monk (later known as Shoichi Kokushi) and returned having learned techniques in weaving. This technique was passed down through the generations to the present. Improvements were made as time continued, and because Kuroda Nagamasa offered this textile to the feudal government of the Edo period, people began to call it “Kenjo (offering) Hakata Ori.” Not only obi sashes, but various items such as dresses and bags are made using Hakata Ori textiles these days.


I also visited the Hakatamachiya Folk Museum, which is only about two blocks from the Craft and Design Museum.  I arrived just  in time for the Hakata Hariko painting class.  The cost of the materials for the class was 800 yen and the entrance to the museum was 200 yen.  










This is my teacher, holding my finished fish.


I'm not such a good painter, but I always like to take part in local craft classes when I travel.  After my class, I visited the rest of the museum, where photos are allowed. 













I recommend visiting both of these museums in Fukuoka.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela,wow your fish is amazing love the colours,well done xx

Queeniepatch said...

You are the best tourist information source!

Janie said...

Another fun opportunity for you! And you got to make an ornament.
The woven textile exhibit would be good to see.
Thanks for sharing.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh, those town recreations are amazing. You certainly find the most interesting places to visit.
xx, carol

KimM said...

What an interesting post! And I love your fish 😊

Vireya said...

Two more interesting places to visit! I like your idea of participating in craft classes when travelling.

Sorry if you get this comment twice, I'm having some difficulty with commenting at present.

kiwikid said...

Love your fish, it is painted beautifully!! Great idea to join in with classes when you can. The museum is very interesting.

Leonore Winterer said...

Looks like you had lots of fun painting that fish!

Glenda said...

Another great read Pamela so lovely to learn and read about these places love that weaving I have a little in my material stash and a lovely old kimono. Cheers Glenda

Glenda said...

I meant belts not a kimono Pamela of Hakata Ori weaving. So it was great to read more about the weaving and history. Glenda